About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
i'm looking for my voice and identity.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Responce to Mora's Post

After reading “Streamlining Federal Programs” by Mora Guerra I learned something I knew very little about, The Government Accountability office. Mora shares my distaste of waste, especially in our National Government. I am glad such an agency exist, though while studying bureaucracy in chapter 13 I can imagine the process of cutting spending in overlapping agencies can be difficult and unwanted by the people who feel their job is necessary and should stick around. At first I disagreed with Mora’s opinion that programs to improve teacher quality should be consolidated in order to combine knowledge and resources. I was worried the system of big agencies would not have the proper check and balances that many smaller programs could offer each other (much like how many fear “Big Government”). This was just at first glance though, after finishing the opinion piece and researching the agency on my own I found it easier to believe that one program for a specific area can really help out the country by saving money and time. The trick is going through all programs and tests each of their effectiveness. If GAO can continue to keep our country streamlined and cut the fat when needed I feel we all can benefit with robust programs that can give us the support and help we need. Mora did a thorough job providing good examples and also gave a clear and organized thought process. P.s Go GAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment